Perkins Bar Bistro is housed in a beautifully restored Victorian Railway station in Plumtree, Nottingham.
Plumtree was one of six stations built in the 1870’s by the Midland Railway between Nottingham and Melton Mowbray to provide a new route to the prestigious St Pancras Station in London. The station opened for passengers on 2nd February 1880.
Nottingham bound there were four trains each day at: 7.15am, 9.50am, 2.40pm and 6pm. George Thomas Bursnell of Rutland was the first station master, taking up appointment on June 15th 1880. He lived here in Station House and was paid an annual salary of £63/14s/0d.
Fred Saunders was the last Station Master who lived here from 1959-1965. Not only did the station provide transport to Nottingham and London it also transformed the way other goods such as milk from local farms, cattle, coal and iron ore could be transported to and from the village.
Plumtree park and Normanton on the Wolds parish developed as a result of the coming of the railway. With the growth of busses and their cheaper fairs the end of passenger traffic was reported in the Evening Post on February 29th 1949. Goods operations ceased in 1965.
In 1980 a friend of the family overheard a conversation in a local pub that British Rail were selling off Plumtree Station. They quickly passed this information to Tony and Wendy Perkins who they knew where on a lookout for a premises to set up a restaurant.
In 1981 Tony and Wendy Perkins got planning to convert Plumtree Station into Perkins Bar Bistro which after much hard work opened on October 14th 1982.
With Tony in the kitchen and Wendy running front of house, the restaurant proved to be a real hit with locals and those from further afield winning awards and gaining entry into national guides.
Keeping it in the family, Tony & Wendy’s sons Jon and David took over the bistro in 2002. Jon and David put their stamp on the bistro but also kept close the family values of personalised service and teamwork that Tony & Wendy held so dear.
The bistro has been lucky enough to win awards over the years; including winning best restaurant in the East Midlands twice by the Good Food Guide, and Best Service, Best Lunch venue, Best out of Town restaurant in local awards. Most recently it has come runner up in Best Service (2016) and Best out of town restaurant (2017) in the Nottingham Food & Drink awards.